On June 29, 2013, a decree from King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia took effect.
The decree states that the official weekend will be moved from Thursday-Friday to Friday-Saturday. The new weekend days are expected to facilitate international transactions and bring many economic advantages.
Consider how this will impact your travel arrangements. Consider how this will alter your meetings and appointments.
Other important matters to consider in Saudi Arabia
- Public activities in Saudi Arabia are strictly separated by gender. Be aware of how you relate to opposite sex colleagues and counterparts.
- A Saudi sponsor is recommended before you enter the country. This person will act as an intermediary by arranging appointments with appropriate individuals.
- Use a Saudi counterpart to initiate greetings with other Saudis.
- The order of Arabic names is as follows: Title, given name, middle name, and surname.
- Be prepared to leave multiple copies of business materials as the individual you are speaking with may not be the decision maker.
- During the month of Ramadan, most businesses operate six hours a day. Become aware of the changes in protocol and etiquette at this time.